Talbot Street PBSA is a student accommodation scheme being constructed in close proximity to Nottingham Trent University (NTU). The project is being built by nmcn (formerly North Midland Construction) working for developer RedOak. The building will be operated by Unipol and will house 332 student bedrooms in cluster flats situated around a landscaped courtyard.
The site, which sits between Talbot Street and Wollaton Street is a former Saab garage and was previously the site of St Matthew’s church (built in 1856, demolished in 1956). The project will return a blighted site to an appropriate use and restore the damaged streetscape. A natural stone wall on Wollaton street will include a series of stone arches, sympathetic with the historic stone walls along parts of the existing street. On Talbot Street, the scale, proportion and use of corner articulation on the proposal strengthens the sense of urban space set by the set-back Georgian villas and the recent Talbot Studios project.
The accommodation is situated over 9 storeys, in two blocks which share a Front of House area, including meeting rooms, lounge areas and a demonstration kitchen. The building is a steel framed structure, with concrete floors. The external walls are clad in cream, buff and brown bricks, with dark grey windows and curtain wall.